Recently, I was watching the 'Knives Out' movies when I realised that it had been a while since I had read a Hercule Poirot mystery. This book has been sitting on my Kindle for a long time, so why not!
A stranger barges into Hercule's room and dies after giving ambiguous information scribbled on a piece of paper about an underworld organisation. From then on, it becomes a cat-and-mouse game as Hercule tries to uncover the organisation and risks his life to get the four top people arrested.
This was an interesting book that was written in easy language. While I expected an outright murder investigation, the story quickly shifts into thriller mode. It combined the typical Poirot-style investigation along with his adventurous side. The Big Four was upping the game, making the read much more engaging. But the problem starts here. Suddenly, Poirot is fighting bad guys instead of finding clues to solve the crime. I would like Poirot to stick to his usual self. The book had a love-hate relationship with me due to this. The story seemed a toned-down version of the Sherlock-Moriarty relationship.
In short, a fairly good book where the expectations play spoilt sport. If you read without a preset mindset, you might enjoy reading this.

No comments:
Post a Comment