Monday 26 August 2024

Haunted: Terrifying Real-life Encounters with Ghosts and Spirits - Jay Alani, Neil D'Silva - Book Review


                    After a couple of horror novels, I was looking for some books on real-life paranormal experiences and ended up reading this book. The name Neil D'Silva interested me as I have been following his works.

                    The book contains ten of the many interesting encounters that Jay Alani, a well-known paranormal investigator in India has experienced. A village that was deserted overnight, a haunted school dormitory, the famed Bhangarh fort, a headless boy in the chills of Mussoorie, the infamous black magic village of the North East and a few locations where Jay takes us on a trip through the words of Neil D'Silva.

                     Being a horror and paranormal fan, the book was an interesting read. I have read many works of fiction on these topics, but this is the first time I am reading a first-person account of the paranormal. Now, I do not want to argue whether paranormal exists. But for me, negative energy does exist and I do not want to put a name to it. The author also points out the superstitions in some of the encounters. A couple of stories did feel creepy while reading at midnight. The experiences were well written and we can see how a talented horror writer like Neil makes it sound. The writing style was simple but I liked the way each experiences were presented. At the same time, the way these encounters were described gave a feeling of reading a fiction story. There were times when I forgot this was a first-person real encounter and was treating this as a normal paranormal short story. There was no unwanted lag anywhere and we can complete the book in a few hours. My favourite of the encounters was the one involving the Goan church and the mystery of the headless boy.

                    In short, a good one-time read for people interested in paranormal books. One can get to experience real-life incidents in this quick read. 






For my reviews on other Neil D'Silva works, check the below links

Ringa Ringa Roses

Sapna's Bad Connection

Maya's New Husband 2: The Birth of the Death

Yakshini

No comments:

Post a Comment