Saturday 29 June 2024

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon - Stephen King - Book Review

 


                      My weekly visit to the library always takes me to this particular shelf with authors starting with 'S'. I stand there staring at the books under the name of Stephen King during every visit. Mostly if I am not taking a Japanese mystery; then my hands automatically reach out to a Stephen King book. This time, the title prompted me to take the book.
                    Trisha McFarland goes on an Appalachian hiking trip with her recently divorced mother and brother. During the hike, there is constant bickering between the mother (who had custody of the kids) and her brother. On the way up the hike; Trisha veers off the path and gets lost in the woods. She moves away and away from the normal route; getting totally lost. A huge Red Sox fan and particularly of Tom Gordon; she starts imagining Tom Gordon to be with her. She attempts to find the right path but ends up delving deeper and deeper into the woods. She has a sinister feeling that someone is following her. Or is it just a figment of her imagination? Does she survive the ordeal? forms the rest of the story.
                    Seemingly a story of survival. A story of hope and determination. But wait! It's Stephen King. So, I did expect his own style of telling how things unfold. And little did he disappoint me. I felt sorry for the girl for what she had to go through. And whatever she was doing was putting her more and more away from the wrong route until the end. It was interesting to see how the girl seemingly adapted to the situation and the supernatural element that was imbibed into the story. It did not take up a major chunk of the story but was interestingly brought up. I have heard that King is a big-time Red Sox baseball team fan and I did like how he brought in the same to the story. Trisha, her parents, her brother, and Tom Gordon are the only prominent characters present in the story, and most of the time we just travel with Trisha. I like how the inner conversations and thoughts that are characteristic in all the books of Stephen King and I enjoyed these as always. The ending however seemed a bit clumsy for me as I was expecting a different climax. Also, the same seemed rushed.
                    In short, this book is good for those who want a quick read. Those who enjoy Stephen King's books will find this interesting.

For my review of other Stephen King books, please check the below links



No comments:

Post a Comment